Somers Public Schools
October 28, 2019 7:00 PM
Board of Education Meeting
1. CALL TO ORDER
Discussion

The regular meeting of the Board of Education was called to order at 7:00 p.m. by Chairman Devlin in the Mabelle B. Avery Board of Education meeting room.

2. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
3. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
3.1. Draft Minutes of October 15, 2019 to be approved
Rationale

Draft Minutes of October 15, 2019 to be approved.

Attachments
4. AUDIENCE TO CITIZENS/STAFF/STUDENTS
5. OPPORTUNITY TO ADD/DELETE AGENDA ITEMS
6. CONSENT AGENDA
6.1. Warrant of October 28, 2019
Rationale

Board to consent to Warrant of October 28, 2019 in the amount of $221,896.84.

Attachments
6.2. Resignation of MBA Language Arts Teacher
Rationale

Mr. Mark Maciolek has resigned.

6.3. 2nd Warning - Policy - DBS 5131.911 - Hazing/Bullying
Rationale

The Board is to review and consent to policy 5131.911 on Hazing/Bullying. 

Attachments
6.4. 2nd Warning - DBS 0100 - Mission-Goals-Objectives
Rationale

The Board is to review and consent to policy  0100 - Mission-Goals-Objectives. 

Attachments
6.5. 2nd Warning - DBS Policy 6146 - Instruction Requirements/Standards of Proficiency
Rationale

The Board is to review and consent to policy 6146 - Instruction Requirements/Standards of Proficiency.

Attachments
7. NEW BUSINESS
7.1. Approval of 2020-2021 Budget Process and Calendar
Rationale

The Board will review and approve the 2020-2021 Budget Process/Calendar.

Attachments
7.2. Approval of Five-Year Capital Improvement Plan
Rationale

The Board will review and approve the five-year CIP.

8. OLD BUSINESS
9. ADMINISTRATIVE REPORTS
9.1. Quarterly Budget Report
Rationale

Mr. Boutwell will be there to answer questions about the quarterly budget report.

Attachments
Discussion

Mr. Bill Boutwell, Director of Business Services, updated the BOE on the quarterly budget report for 2019-2020.  He stated that it is early in the year and adjustments may need to be done.  He reviewed the provided $23,884,137 budget report with the projected expenses.  

9.2. Textbook Long-Range Plan
Rationale

Dr. Zytka will present the textbook long-range plan to the Board.

Attachments
Discussion

Dr. Irene Zytka, Director of Curriculum, updated the BOE on the long-range textbook plan for all subjects.  Dr. Zytka stated she will negotiate the best price for multiyear subscriptions and will look into grant funds.  Textbooks are moving towards digital; however, Dr. Zytka recommends a classroom set of textbooks for teachers.  Curriculum directors from six or seven districts have met.  The next meeting will be hosted in Somers.

9.3. District Diversity and Equity Plan Update
Rationale

Dr. Zytka will be there to give an update on the District's Diversity and Equity Plan.

Attachments
Discussion

Dr. Irene Zytka, Director of Curriculum, updated the BOE on the district's Diversity and Equity over the past three years.  The Somers Diversity and Equity Council was established in 2017.  They devised a purpose statement and is guided by three questions:  

  • What can the committee do to ensure staff and students understand racial and cultural issues?
  • How will staff promote effective teaching and learning of these issues?
  • What actions from teachers/staff regarding race and culture may be established in the buildings?

Over the last two years, there have been several initiatives:

  • Workshops and diversity/equity training through CREC
  • Universal Design for Learning--now part of the Atlas system
  • Unity Team established at SHS
  • African Workshop at MBA
  • Restorative Circles at SHS
  • YES Youth Summit for SHS and MBA students

Last Friday, there were two workshops with consultants from SERC who facilitated students and staff in restorative circles regarding conversations of race and equity.  Mrs. Cheryl Gustafson, SHS Assistant Principal, stated that there were students who represented different backgrounds in attendance.  They learned as a group how to have candid conversations regarding race and noted that it was important to experience discomfort together and to expect and accept non-closure.  Mrs. Gustafson stated that there will be a day scheduled at SHS to bring this dialogue to the student body.  Jeremy Anderson requested to have students who participate at the YES Youth Summit to speak before the Board on their experiences.    

9.4. Music Replacement Plan
Rationale

The Superintendent will present the Music Deptartment replacement plan.

Attachments
Discussion

Superintendent Czapla reported that the Music Department looked over their inventory and designed a five-year equipment replacement plan which he presented to the BOE.  

9.5. School Improvement Plans
Rationale

The Superintendents will present the  School Improvement Plans.

Attachments
Discussion

Superintendent Czapla presented the School Improvement Plans to the BOE about a month ago.  These plans were not devised until a Strategic Plan was in place.  He has been working with administrators to form improvement plans to include goals, strategies to meet these goals, staff responsible, resources needed, and timelines.  He stated that they are on a great path going forward on dealing with some challenges over the next 6-12 months and will look forward to reporting back to the BOE in the spring.  BOE members complimented the layout of the improvement plan.  Jan Martin would like to see AP expansion in English at SHS in the near future.

9.6. Superintendent Update
Rationale

Superintendent will give the Board an update.

Discussion

Superintendent Czapla reported that he met with the First Selectman, Selectman, and Chris Boucher last Thursday to discuss developing community conversations.  The Community Coalition is made up of about 15 people from service organizations and various spiritual organizations to organize and engage the community in difficult conversations and ways in which to develop an action plan to overcome challenges.  The initial meeting will be held on 11/18/19. 

10. COMMITTEE REPORTS
10.1. CURRICULUM
Discussion

Jan Martin reported that the next Curriculum meeting will be held on 11/11/19 prior to the BOE meeting.

10.2. POLICY
Discussion

Jan Martin reported that the next meeting will be held on 11/11/19 prior to the Curriculum and BOE meeting.

10.3. SALARY & NEGOTIATION
Discussion

Dave Palmer reported that negotiations are underway with SEA.  The last meeting was a meet and greet where proposals were exchanged.  He requested a non-meeting to brief the Board.

10.4. PLANNING
Discussion

Dave Palmer reported that the next meeting will be held on 11/11/19.

11. CREC UPDATE
Discussion

The CREC update was provided in each BOE member's packet from Anne Kirkpatrick.  

12. ADJOURNMENT